Taking a break from the Trail
I am going to be taking a break from hiking the Pacific Crest Trail to attend to my feet issues. I have struggled with recurring blisters and severe foot pain since I left the Mexico/California border. Nearly every step I have taken from the border to mile 900 has hurt me (that's over 1,800,000 steps and 150,000ft of climbing uphill over mountains). I’ve struggled for months to try to resolve my foot issues, including trying new shoes and all kinds of blister remedies. Nothing seems to be working and I’ve been taking 800-1,600mg of ibuprofen daily so that I can continue to hike. Sometimes I have to take more than 2,000mg a day just so I can tolerate being on my feet. Over time the pain has gotten worse (even w/out a pack on) and Nick and I have been puzzled as to what is going on. Is my pack to heavy? Am I just not built to hike? Whatever the problem is, I knew I could not go on much longer like this. My daily mileage is dropping (when it should be increasing) and I’ve put Nick at risk of not making it to Canada before the snow storms hit the Cascades.
What’s wrong with me?
Recently, while making an unplanned stop at the Vermilion Valley Resort (VVR), I met a man who was hiking the John Muir Trail (JMT) with his wife. I had first said hello to them a day earlier when we crossed paths at Seldon Pass and exchanged a few words. The wife saw me at VVR and called me over to her. I walked over to her with a slight limp and she asked me what was wrong. I had explained to her that I had developed another large blister on my left foot coming into VVR and that my feet were hurting me and sore in general.
Picture of my latest blister beneath my left big toe (about the size of a quarter). I created this beauty in about 4hrs. It was 2 blisters on top of each other with one having blood in it. Nick and I have started calling myself the "Blister Maker".
The wife then explains that her husband is a foot specialist and told me to sit down next to them and to take off my crocs. The husband inspected my feet, did a few tests on them, asked me some questions, and then explained to me what he thought my problem was.
The peroneal muscles in both of my legs are extremely tight (restricted) which is causing the outer edges of my feet to pull outward and my inner edge of my feet to roll inward (pronate). It’s so severe that the bones in my feet are getting pulled out of alignment so when I walk the bones are not in the place they should be which is causing the severe pain. It feels like the bones in my arch and ankle are breaking when the pain is at full force. In addition, he said this muscle imbalance is the cause of most of my blisters on my feet because my feet do not sit in a neutral position. The pain in my bones and the blisters are all related. This is why changing shoes didn't help, nor did the wool toe socks, thicker wool socks, 2 pairs of socks, and the slew of other remedies. To make matters worse, the peroneal muscles have gotten much stronger and tighter from all of the hiking I have done over the past 900 miles which is causing me even more pain. He also said if I don’t resolve this issue, the bones in my feet may become deformed. As a profession he creates special boots/braces to correct deformities in the feet and legs of patients and he is renowned for his unique design. Thanks goodness my issue has not come to the point where I need a boot!
I did read online that peroneal muscles are often neglected by athletes but they are very important muscles and need attention. I also read that wearing high heels can contribute to restricted peroneal muscles and I wore high heels for several years to work every day. I’m not sure how I got here, but it’s time to fix me.
What’s next?
So what now? The foot specialist at VVR gave me a stretch to do and told me to do it when I wake up and every 30 minutes while I am hiking, but also told me that he can’t guarantee that I will be able to get the muscles to release on my own. I also pulled up the “Muscle Medicine” book that I downloaded from Amazon on my phone before I started the hike and looked up some additional stretches for my peroneal muscles (active release technique). When I left VVR the following day, I tried the stretches and I did get some relief but not much. I am still in quite a bit of pain. I can’t seem to resolve this muscle imbalance on my own so I am going to seek out medical attention when I get home. I’m going to give Dr Justin a call at Premier Sport and Spine and have him manually release these tight peroneal muscles for me. I’m afraid though...this is going to hurt and I bet metal tools will be involved! I’ll need to develop a regimented stretching routine after this to keep myself healthy.
What about Nick?
Nick will continue to hike on without me. He is under pressure now to hike a minimum of 22+ miles a day (on average) from here until he reaches Canada if he hopes to have a chance of making it before the snow closes the trail. He is ~3 weeks behind schedule now and has to hustle to make up lost ground.
When will I be home?
Right now I am estimating I will be home around July 26th. I want to finish the entire John Muir Trail (JMT) before taking my break to fix my feet. I started the JMT at Mount Whitney and it finishes in Yosemite Valley. The PCT and JMT overlap for a large portion of the JMT trail. I believe I can muscle my way through the pain another week to accomplish this goal. In Tuolumne I will separate from the PCT/JMT trail and move solely onto the JMT to drop into Yosemite Valley. I’ll have to obtain new permits to do this and hope I don’t run into any issues at the Ranger Station since it will be first come first serve.
My twin sister Miranda will be picking me up in Yosemite Valley. Thanks Sis!
Will I resume the hike?
Assuming my muscle issues are sorted out, I will rejoin him on the trail for some “must see” sections (e.g. Tahoe, Mt Shasta, Crater Lake, etc) and I’d love to join him in Washington to finish the hike together. I will also come find him on the trail periodically for some “trail magic” and I’ll be his personal sherpa!

Finding that doctor on the trail was a blessing. Having deformed feet is not worth it. Come home and let them heal sis. Best to take a break now then ruin your feet for good. Love you and cant wait to see you next week.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sis for coming to pick me up! Love you too.
DeleteI totally agree w/ Miranda!....complete blessing you met that doctor on the trail! Get your butt home...seriously 900 miles?...you rock....Huge! I will be praying for your feet. ;)
DeleteSorry to hear you have to take a break but you need to take care of those feet. Love you and hope you get back on the trail real soon, Uncle Rog
ReplyDeleteThanks uncle Rog. Love you too!
DeleteYou've met so many trail angels, but I'm so glad you met this trail angel when you did. His wife is definitely another trail angel, noticing the way you were walking and taking it upon herself to have her husband look at your feet. Looking forward to reading about Nick's continuing adventures and hearing about your healing process as well. Can't wait to hear about trail angel Melissa!
ReplyDeleteI don't know why, but your message made me really emotional just now. Thank you Lisa <3
DeleteI'm sure this was a hard decision to make...that'll make you more emotional for sure! Let me know next time you're close to Turlock...I'll buy you lunch and a beer at Dust Bowl!
DeleteSorry to hear your feet just aren't getting any better. Hopefully get PT/Graston will help. Also, ping EricaB as she's had peroneal issues and might have some stretches that work 'best'. Try to enjoy the rest of the JM trail and see you back home in a short while! Hang in there! Debbie
ReplyDeleteThe Decision that you made is best for you. Be proud of yourself that you went as far as you did with the pain and the added weight on your back, most people would have given up so much sooner! Take care of yourself first & foremost, heal & pamper those feet and get some rest. I am sure you will then enjoy the trail that much more. Hopefully we can meet up with you for lunch/dinner real soon. Keep in touch Mel, We love you - XOXO, Auntie Delma & Ari.
ReplyDeleteI know this was a very tough decision but I am happy that you are putting your health first. We all know how tough you are Mel. You have put so much energy, courage and persistence into making it as far as you did on your poor feet. I'm so proud of how far you have come and how hard you pushed yourself. You are one determined girl.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are taking a break before (hopefully) no permanent damage. I'm beyond excited to see you and give you a LONG hug. I look forward to more adventure reading from Nick and am glad he now will have the best trail angel EVER.
Love you girl! Now finish that trail stretch and get your poor feet home!
I've been trying to leave you a comment all day. I'm sad to hear this as I was trying to surprise you at Lake Tahoe but permanently destroying your feet is crazy so I'm happy you found an answer before that happened. Hurry home so we can pamper you!
ReplyDeletethe right decisions aren't always the easiest, so good for you at arriving at this one, which really seems like the best option at this point. Get the help you need, heal and be an angel for Nick and others. What you've already experienced will make such an impression on your life forever. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hugs
ReplyDeleteHope you enjoy the rest of the John Muir Trail. I am really enjoying your blog, but am happy that you will take a break to take care of your foot! Thank God there was a foot doctor around :) Take care!!!
ReplyDeleteI know this was a very difficult decision. I am incredibly proud of you for taking care of yourself and doing what is right for your body. Know that you can return and that you can accomplish this quest when everything else is sorted out. Sending you tons of positive energy and an open invitation to wine/whine in SF about your experiences. Plus Psoas in SF does the most amazing treatment for the muscle concerns you have.
ReplyDeleteHey Mel - brave decision but definitely the right one - you will need those trotters for a long time so you need to look after them. Plan to hop on and off the trail sounds perfect. Make sure you have good relax once you get home.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Laura (still waiting for baby arrival)
Hi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI hope you find early breakfast buddies, shoe shopper and a great doc for you feet back at home.
Fingers crossed that you can see Nick often along the PCT.
All the best from Germany
Anja
Hi Mel, your poor feet! I know this was a difficult decision but a good one. I am sure you will get those feet in good shape quickly so you can join Nick on the trail. Send me an email and let me know how you are doing.
ReplyDeleteSending lots of hugs,
Wendy