Saturday, July 20, 2013

Day 69-70, Mile Marker 789, Bishop (Zero Days)

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Zero Day in Bishop

Post by Melissa:
We have several things we want to buy today and we know that we will not be able to find these things in Independence.  Luckily we learn that there is a bus that will take us from Independence to Bishop at 8:40am. We run across the street to a restaurant called Jenny's and order two breakfast burritos to go because we are running short on time. Jenny's is only open for breakfast and lunch and we were thankful to have options besides Subway again.

Pictures of the "main drag" in Independence



This chicken was on the antenna of a motorcycle in front of Jenny's. We both got a good laugh!


We grab the burritos and head over to the bus stop.  It wasn't long before the bus showed up and we were on our way to Bishop!  We were dropped off in the center of town and we headed towards the Holiday Inn Express to rent a room. I was needing a hotel with a business center so I could blog and they did have a computer for us to use. That was all I needed to know!  I was surprised at how nice this hotel was.  We had a kitchenette and the bed had nice bedding and pillows.  Ahh...felt like we were being pampered.

Picture of the main street in Bishop.  Looks like a little more promising that Independence.


We walked across the street from our hotel to grab a smoothie.  It was so hot.  In the smoothie place they had a small gift shop where I noticed this sign on the wall. Love it!


Next we wanted to rent a car so we could get around easier.  Bishop was a little spread out and it was too far to walk to everything.  We made our way over to both Enterprise and Hertz and both were out of rental cars.  We were told to check back in a few hours.  The guy at Hertz came out of the bathroom and the whole front of his shirt was covered in sweat.  He gave us a creepy feeling so we held out for Enterprise.

Nick was set on picking up a fly rod in Bishop so he could fish in the Sierras.  We had seen many fish in both the lakes and rivers and Nick was eager to catch some.  He made his way over to Brock's and I hung out at the saloon next store.  He was gone for quite some time and I took the opportunity to call my Sister and chat with a few friends through gTalk. It must have been 2 hours before Nick reappeared grinning from ear to ear with a bag full of goodies including a new fly rod.  The sales guy had done a great job getting him set up with everything he needed to be successful fly fishing.

We called Enterprise and they had a car ready for us so we headed back over there and picked it up.  Then we headed over to a nice Mexican dinner (my favorite) and went back to the hotel to call it a night.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Zero Day in Bishop

Post by Melissa:
Today was another productive zero day in Bishop.  Nick had to drive the rental car back to Independence to pick up our resupply boxes from the Independence post office.  We had arrived too late on Monday night to grab our packages and unfortunately the bus we caught yesterday out of Independence left before the post office opened at 9:30am (bus only runs at 6:30am, 8:40am, and 5:00pm).  

While in Independence, Nick offered Royce, Tank, and Tweak a ride to Bishop.  They were going to be spending the day in Bishop running errands.  Nick came back to Bishop and dropped the guys off at the Motel 6 and returned to the hotel to pick me up.  We needed to buy me new shoes and hiking poles, I needed a passport photo (for a Chinese vacation in December), and we needed fishing licenses.  We ended up running around town for several hours, in the intense heat, completing all of our chores. I went back to the hotel to continue working on the blog while Nick returned the rental car.  He came back to the hotel a while later with a spin fishing rod for me along with all of the supplies I would need to have a successful fishing experience.  It was a total surprise since I thought we would just share is fly fishing rod. I was so excited!!

Check out this temperature in our rental car! 108F!  I seriously don't know how people live in these areas that get so hot.  It's so uncomfortable.


We ended the day with a nice Sushi dinner.  I hadn't had sushi since we left Campbell on April 20th so this was a real treat!  I couldn't wait to dive into some spicy tuna rolls.  Nick had the wild sockeye Salmon.


Zero days...how I love them so!

3 comments:

  1. Oh that passport photo will be with you for 10 years. What a great commemoration of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to buy makeup and try to fix myself up for the photo. My hair was a mess, but at least I had on eye liner and mascara. :-)

      Delete
  2. life goes on! glad that you are in a "big" city compared some of the other hotel stops and have the luxury of a rental car and sushi, living it up! ;)
    Enjoy the very very well deserved zero days.

    ReplyDelete