Sunday, June 23, 2013
Hiking Uphill: 453ft
Hiking Downhill: 316ft
Distance Hiked: 4 miles
Post by Nick:
I also discover a little scorpion under my gear while packing up.
Here's some of the scenery on my short hike to Kennedy Meadows.
700 miles done!
Kennedy Meadows at last! Where's the store and grill?
After locating Tom's place I'm directed to our accommodations, a trailer on the property that Tom allows hikers to stay in. Melissa is not here so I drop my pack and head to the general store to find her and get some refreshments.
I find Mel, order some food, and pick up the resupply boxes that we had mailed here. Below is a picture of my new shoes, half a size larger, that were ordered from zappos.
Me enjoying a cold beer while examining our resupply boxes.
A fellow hiker lecturing on the proper use of an ice axe... Guess who :)
Large group of hikers on the patio of the general store.
Early dinner with new friends.
My wrist strap from the kick off event finally removed. The rumor I heard is that anyone showing up at KM with their wrist strap in tact would get a free 6pack of beer. After arriving I quickly realized that wasn't true so finally removed it.
Mel carrying back her resupply boxes to our trailer.
The local swimming pool :)
Post by Melissa:

In the early afternoon I see Nick walking up to the store and I'm super excited to see him. I was surprised that he arrived so early. He needed to cover 50 miles and I knew he got off to a late start on Friday so I figured he'd be in sometime in the evening. But then again, Nick can hike fast and furious when he knows burgers and beer are waiting :-) I was happy to see him. I was being lazy and social and had been hanging out on the store patio w/other hikers for a few hours.
I was happy that my new Mizuno running shoes came. My sister has been awesome with getting me my supplies in a rush. I also had some dirty girl gaiters and some new smartwool socks. I was eager to try them out tomorrow. The shoes were a very bright blue and my socks were grey with pink accents. A funny combo but I was just happy to have them in my possession! It's not like there is anywhere around to buy a new pair of shoes. Zappos is an amazing thing!
Nick covered the afternoon activities above. I just wanted to add that after our dinner we closed down he store w/socializing and then headed back to Tom's place. The outdoor movie of the night was Men in Black. We opted to skip that and get some sleep. Nick was pretty tired and so was I.
Hiking Uphill: 453ft
Hiking Downhill: 316ft
Distance Hiked: 4 miles
Post by Nick:
I wake up along the river and quickly pack up so I can get on my way and make it to Kennedy Meadows for lunch. I know Melissa is waiting and I'm imagining a cheeseburger for lunch. Underneath my tent I discover the below insect/spider which we've seen a lot of...no clue what it is but looks intimidating.
I also discover a little scorpion under my gear while packing up.
Here's some of the scenery on my short hike to Kennedy Meadows.
700 miles done!
Kennedy Meadows at last! Where's the store and grill?
After locating Tom's place I'm directed to our accommodations, a trailer on the property that Tom allows hikers to stay in. Melissa is not here so I drop my pack and head to the general store to find her and get some refreshments.
I find Mel, order some food, and pick up the resupply boxes that we had mailed here. Below is a picture of my new shoes, half a size larger, that were ordered from zappos.
Me enjoying a cold beer while examining our resupply boxes.
A fellow hiker lecturing on the proper use of an ice axe... Guess who :)
Large group of hikers on the patio of the general store.
Early dinner with new friends.
My wrist strap from the kick off event finally removed. The rumor I heard is that anyone showing up at KM with their wrist strap in tact would get a free 6pack of beer. After arriving I quickly realized that wasn't true so finally removed it.
Mel carrying back her resupply boxes to our trailer.
The local swimming pool :)
Post by Melissa:
The night before when I was having dinner at the Kennedy Meadows Store I learned that on Sunday mornings the store makes breakfast and they offer all you can eat pancakes. I was "so there"! I got up pretty early since I seem to wake up now when the sun comes up and then chatted with some of the other hikers at Tom's about the breakfast before walking over to the store. I opted for the blue berry pancakes. I was happy to see I was given bacon, sausage, eggs, and pancakes. A true hiker's breakfast and a real treat. I debated whether to order one for Nick but I had no idea when he would actually arrive so I held off.

In the early afternoon I see Nick walking up to the store and I'm super excited to see him. I was surprised that he arrived so early. He needed to cover 50 miles and I knew he got off to a late start on Friday so I figured he'd be in sometime in the evening. But then again, Nick can hike fast and furious when he knows burgers and beer are waiting :-) I was happy to see him. I was being lazy and social and had been hanging out on the store patio w/other hikers for a few hours.
I was happy that my new Mizuno running shoes came. My sister has been awesome with getting me my supplies in a rush. I also had some dirty girl gaiters and some new smartwool socks. I was eager to try them out tomorrow. The shoes were a very bright blue and my socks were grey with pink accents. A funny combo but I was just happy to have them in my possession! It's not like there is anywhere around to buy a new pair of shoes. Zappos is an amazing thing!
Nick covered the afternoon activities above. I just wanted to add that after our dinner we closed down he store w/socializing and then headed back to Tom's place. The outdoor movie of the night was Men in Black. We opted to skip that and get some sleep. Nick was pretty tired and so was I.


We got our 2-wheel drive stuck up the road from Tom's place on my birthday 5 years ago. My friend lived right across from Tom's place and was teaching at Mammoth HS at the time. Andrew was our trail angel that day! In fact, Nick looks a little like him with the beard right now!
ReplyDeletewhat an interesting place! glad that you were able to score the comforts of that trailer! Nice job Nick on pumping out those 50 miles!
ReplyDelete