Zero Day in Mojave
Post By Melissa:
Today was a lazy and semi-productive day. Nick was pretty tired from hiking the 40 miles from Hikertown to Mojave during a 24hr period so I helped him get his laundry done and worked on the blog for a bit while he rested in the hotel room. I had picked up some healthy snacks the day before since we had a mini fridge in our room. I layed out some goodies in bed for Nick so he could snack, watch TV, and relax in bed. It was nice to be back together again.
Guacamole, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Veggie Tray, and Pita Chips
Eventually the server returned from his pizza delivery and we were able to place our order. I of course ordered my favorite dish of carne asada and bacon wrapped prawns. The food was actually pretty tasty and we learned that people would drive from far away to frequent this small mexican restaurant. It was a nice treat.
After dinner we headed back to the hotel and prompty went to bed!
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Zero Day in Mojave
Post By Melissa:
Happy Anniversary!! Today we are celebrating our dating anniversary of 3 years. Mojave isn't exactly the most romantic spot in the world, but hey...you have to make the best of the situation. I had picked up some flowers and a card for Nick while he was on the trail and gave them to him this morning. Surprisingly I was able to find a very cute card at Stater Brothers (grocery store).
Nick enjoyed them both and offered to treat me to breakfast for my anniversary gift :-)
We decided to not be so lazy today and actually get some chores done as well so we got ready and jumped in the rental car and headed towards Lancaster. We searched on our phones for a place to have breakfast and found a nice diner that was also serving bloody marys. Cheers!!
After a yummy breakfast we headed to a sporting goods store to buy a few things. I wanted a new shirt and Nick needed some new chums for his sunglasses. We were both able to find what we needed and then we headed back towards Mojave after hitting the Starbucks drive through for some icy cold coffee drinks (Yum!). We needed to run by the post office again because our 2nd resupply box had just arrived. I waited in the car while Nick ran into the post office. It was a hot day. As you can see in the photo below it was 97 degrees at nearly 4pm! I was glad to not be hiking this day...
Nick with our 2nd resupply box!
After we left the Post Office we headed back to the grocery store to grab a few more things to supplement our resupply plan.
Dinner?! We went back and forth on what to do for our anniversary dinner. Mojave didn't have much to offer but we thought we'd try that suggestion next to Stater Bros that we missed the night before. When we got there it was open this time but I was disappointed with the offerings. It looked like a low end Chipotle and I told Nick it was a no go. I didn't want to spend our 3 year anniversary eating crappy food. We walked out and jumped back into the rental car and I drove us over to Tehachapi for some Thai food. It was actually pretty good and we were glad we were able to see a little of Tehachapi. In hindsight we wish we would have chosen Tehachapi instead of Mojave to take a few zero days in...but in the end it all worked out :-)
Once we arrived back at our hotel we each soaked our feet in Epsom salt and then called it a night. Tomorrow we would be back on the trail!


Oh, I've been waiting for these posts! So glad to see that y'all are still going :)
ReplyDeletethe suspense was KILLING ME! So glad you are able to post and back on the road! You'll always remember this anniversary, not b/c of the dinner but because of how AWESOME of an adventure you are on! Congrats and imagine how you can top this next year ;)
ReplyDelete