Thursday, July 25 - Saturday July 27, 2013
Stats for 3 Days
Hiking Uphill: 13,965ft
Hiking Downhill: 12,914ft
Distance Hiked: 76 miles
Post by Nick:
Thursday, July 25, 2013
Start: Mile 942.5 Tuolumne Meadows
Finish: Mile 958.78 Virginia Canyon
Distance: 16.28 miles
After saying good-bye to Melissa I walked across the Tuolumne Meadows campground and down the highway to the northbound PCT and trailhead to Glen Aulin. It's around noon now and I need to cover 76 miles in 2.5 days in order to reach Sonora pass on 7/27 and meet up with my friend Steve who planned to pick me up and take me to his family cabin for a zero day. The pressure is on and as I reach the trailhead I hear a loud thunderclap and it begins to rain and hail....wonderful!
I stop under a tree, take some photos, text Mel to make sure she's ok, and then put on my rain gear and pack cover. I'm so glad I kept my umbrella; I don't use it much but when it actually rains I'm so grateful for it. I hike on in the pouring rain and watch all of the day hikers running back to their cars at the trailhead in their shorts and T-shirts.
Views from the Tuolumne-Glen Aulin trailhead. I think that's Cathedral Peak in the background, the direction which Mel is headed in the JMT down to the valley.
My view North.
I stopped quickly at the Parson's Memorial Lodge just to check it out. This is a little educational/visitor center with a little lounge at the back in front of a fireplace.
Large pea-sized hail along the PCT trail to Glen Aulin.
Almost looks like snow from a distance.
4 miles to go to Glen Aulin.
A nice large buck crossing the trail ahead of me. Why don't I see any like this during hunting season?
A bachelor group of bucks hanging out near the Tuolumne river.
Awesome view looking South along the river.
Crossing the river.
View from the bridge.
Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp. I reached this point between 2 and 3 pm and I was cold and wet and ran into the mess tent to try and get some hot coffee but they were all out :(
I hiked on past the camp and found a spot to refill my water, wash and rest my feet for a little bit. The rain had stopped at this point but there were some intermittent showers.
A creek crossing which is always a bit scary on a wet/slippery log.
I camped on a ridgeline not too far from Virginia Canyon.
Friday, July 26, 2013
Start: Mile 958.78 Virginia Canyon
Finish: Mile 987.78 Wilmer Lake
Distance: 29 miles
This was a big day of hiking with a lot of elevation gain and loss. I climbed up and over Benson pass and several other smaller passes. I'm not used to hiking big miles at my faster pace and my legs hurt, my knees ached, and the pads of my feet throbbed. After stopping for a break I also discover that I'm severely chaffed in all of the wrong places. Thank goodness I had a little tube of Aquaphor which liberally applied in the critical areas provided some temporary relief.
That morning I passed Dirt & Donatello, two brothers hiking the PCT northbound, and later in the afternoon Ryan and Marie who were also northbound on the PCT.
Nice view of a lake I pass.
There are many junctions and it's nice when the PCT is clearly labelled, else I need to pull out the map.
A nice buck sitting the grass watching me as I pass by.
A trout....
My path North on the PCT.
17 miles to Wilmer Lake, where I'd like to camp for the night.
Scenery...
A little frog/toad.
A grouse. I'm seeing lots of these in the Sierras. They cluck a bit like chickens and if scared fly up into the trees. Sometimes I can get really close and they are right next to the trail.
I cross a creek and find a large camp setup by a trail crew.
I reach Wilmer Lake at 9:30pm and quickly setup camp. I'm cold and exhausted and make/eat dinner inside my tent.
Saturday, July 27, 2013
Start: Mile 987.78 Wilmer Lake
Finish: Mile 1018.5 Sonora Pass
Distance: 30.72 miles
So...it's my Bday (happy bday to me, happy bday to me... :), and I REALLY....REALLY.... want to get to Sonora Pass tonight and meet up with my buddy Steve so I can enjoy a warm shower, food, and bed in the comforts of his family cabin. I'm motivated and get an early start and begin hiking at 6:45am.
View of Wilmer Lake where I camp the preceding night.
Around 10am I reach Dorothy Lake, 10 miles in for the day, and decide to take a break. I'm already hot and sweaty so I strip down and go for a quick swim; I then eat lunch while I air dry.
Leaving Yosemite and entering the Hoover wilderness.
Scenery...
Scenery climbing up towards Sonora pass.
Much of the trail to Sonora pass follows a very exposed windswept ridgeline that seems to go on forever...very beautiful!
I love the different colored lichens on the rocks...loots like their doing battle for real estate.
Sign looking back South... I didn't know I left the Hoover Wilderness and was in the Emigrant Wilderness.
Sonora pass, 6:45pm... yippee!!!
I had told my buddy Steve that I would arrive late afternoon/early evening and would give him a call on his cell when I arrived. Unfortunately, I had no cell service and couldn't reach him. I hung out till 8:30pm and it was getting cold and dark so I decided to try and hitch a ride down to Kennedy Meadows resort. There wasn't much traffic and the cars that were passing hardly even looked at me. Luckily an SUV passed by but then did a U-Turn to come get me. Les and Brett, a father and son, just returning from a long weekend of backpacking in the Sierras, took pity on me and offered me a ride down to the resort and even took me the extra mile off the road into the resort. Thank you so much for the ride and looking past my outward appearance :)
Once I got to the resort, I picked up my resupply package but sadly still did not have cell coverage. The resort was fully booked, no cabins available, and I was told I would need to walk back down the road a half mile and pitch my tent at the campground....needless to say it's not how I wanted to spend my birthday. Luckily the resort did have pay phones and I was eventually able to connect with Steve, via much help from Melissa who was able to relay my location to Steve. Steve had actually just made a trip to the top of the pass since he hadn't heard from me. Lesson learned here to not plan on having cell phone coverage and inspired me to get a GPS Messenger to prevent this going forward and let folks monitor my location.
I really wish I had a picture of this but Steve makes it to the resort just past 10pm and immediately hops out of the car and pulls an ice cold beer (Sierra Nevada of course) from an ice chest, pops the top, and hands it to me. I was thrilled! Clearly the word is out that I really appreciate a cold beer when coming off the trail and I love it!
Steve takes me to the cabin where I'm treated to more cold beer, a hot shower, and a great dinner of spaghetti and Italian sausage. I get my laundry going and retire to a warm bed super content and happy.
Stats for 3 Days
Hiking Uphill: 13,965ft
Hiking Downhill: 12,914ft
Distance Hiked: 76 miles
Post by Nick:
Thursday, July 25, 2013
Start: Mile 942.5 Tuolumne Meadows
Finish: Mile 958.78 Virginia Canyon
Distance: 16.28 miles
After saying good-bye to Melissa I walked across the Tuolumne Meadows campground and down the highway to the northbound PCT and trailhead to Glen Aulin. It's around noon now and I need to cover 76 miles in 2.5 days in order to reach Sonora pass on 7/27 and meet up with my friend Steve who planned to pick me up and take me to his family cabin for a zero day. The pressure is on and as I reach the trailhead I hear a loud thunderclap and it begins to rain and hail....wonderful!
I stop under a tree, take some photos, text Mel to make sure she's ok, and then put on my rain gear and pack cover. I'm so glad I kept my umbrella; I don't use it much but when it actually rains I'm so grateful for it. I hike on in the pouring rain and watch all of the day hikers running back to their cars at the trailhead in their shorts and T-shirts.
Views from the Tuolumne-Glen Aulin trailhead. I think that's Cathedral Peak in the background, the direction which Mel is headed in the JMT down to the valley.
My view North.
I stopped quickly at the Parson's Memorial Lodge just to check it out. This is a little educational/visitor center with a little lounge at the back in front of a fireplace.
Large pea-sized hail along the PCT trail to Glen Aulin.
Almost looks like snow from a distance.
4 miles to go to Glen Aulin.
A nice large buck crossing the trail ahead of me. Why don't I see any like this during hunting season?
A bachelor group of bucks hanging out near the Tuolumne river.
Awesome view looking South along the river.
Crossing the river.
View from the bridge.
Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp. I reached this point between 2 and 3 pm and I was cold and wet and ran into the mess tent to try and get some hot coffee but they were all out :(
The waterfall at the Glen Aulin camp.
I hiked on past the camp and found a spot to refill my water, wash and rest my feet for a little bit. The rain had stopped at this point but there were some intermittent showers.
A creek crossing which is always a bit scary on a wet/slippery log.
I camped on a ridgeline not too far from Virginia Canyon.
Start: Mile 958.78 Virginia Canyon
Finish: Mile 987.78 Wilmer Lake
Distance: 29 miles
This was a big day of hiking with a lot of elevation gain and loss. I climbed up and over Benson pass and several other smaller passes. I'm not used to hiking big miles at my faster pace and my legs hurt, my knees ached, and the pads of my feet throbbed. After stopping for a break I also discover that I'm severely chaffed in all of the wrong places. Thank goodness I had a little tube of Aquaphor which liberally applied in the critical areas provided some temporary relief.
That morning I passed Dirt & Donatello, two brothers hiking the PCT northbound, and later in the afternoon Ryan and Marie who were also northbound on the PCT.
Nice view of a lake I pass.
There are many junctions and it's nice when the PCT is clearly labelled, else I need to pull out the map.
A nice buck sitting the grass watching me as I pass by.
A trout....
My path North on the PCT.
17 miles to Wilmer Lake, where I'd like to camp for the night.
Scenery...
A little frog/toad.
A grouse. I'm seeing lots of these in the Sierras. They cluck a bit like chickens and if scared fly up into the trees. Sometimes I can get really close and they are right next to the trail.
I cross a creek and find a large camp setup by a trail crew.
I reach Wilmer Lake at 9:30pm and quickly setup camp. I'm cold and exhausted and make/eat dinner inside my tent.
Saturday, July 27, 2013
Start: Mile 987.78 Wilmer Lake
Finish: Mile 1018.5 Sonora Pass
Distance: 30.72 miles
So...it's my Bday (happy bday to me, happy bday to me... :), and I REALLY....REALLY.... want to get to Sonora Pass tonight and meet up with my buddy Steve so I can enjoy a warm shower, food, and bed in the comforts of his family cabin. I'm motivated and get an early start and begin hiking at 6:45am.
View of Wilmer Lake where I camp the preceding night.
Around 10am I reach Dorothy Lake, 10 miles in for the day, and decide to take a break. I'm already hot and sweaty so I strip down and go for a quick swim; I then eat lunch while I air dry.
Leaving Yosemite and entering the Hoover wilderness.
Scenery...
Scenery climbing up towards Sonora pass.
Much of the trail to Sonora pass follows a very exposed windswept ridgeline that seems to go on forever...very beautiful!
I love the different colored lichens on the rocks...loots like their doing battle for real estate.
Sign looking back South... I didn't know I left the Hoover Wilderness and was in the Emigrant Wilderness.
Sonora pass, 6:45pm... yippee!!!
I had told my buddy Steve that I would arrive late afternoon/early evening and would give him a call on his cell when I arrived. Unfortunately, I had no cell service and couldn't reach him. I hung out till 8:30pm and it was getting cold and dark so I decided to try and hitch a ride down to Kennedy Meadows resort. There wasn't much traffic and the cars that were passing hardly even looked at me. Luckily an SUV passed by but then did a U-Turn to come get me. Les and Brett, a father and son, just returning from a long weekend of backpacking in the Sierras, took pity on me and offered me a ride down to the resort and even took me the extra mile off the road into the resort. Thank you so much for the ride and looking past my outward appearance :)
Once I got to the resort, I picked up my resupply package but sadly still did not have cell coverage. The resort was fully booked, no cabins available, and I was told I would need to walk back down the road a half mile and pitch my tent at the campground....needless to say it's not how I wanted to spend my birthday. Luckily the resort did have pay phones and I was eventually able to connect with Steve, via much help from Melissa who was able to relay my location to Steve. Steve had actually just made a trip to the top of the pass since he hadn't heard from me. Lesson learned here to not plan on having cell phone coverage and inspired me to get a GPS Messenger to prevent this going forward and let folks monitor my location.
I really wish I had a picture of this but Steve makes it to the resort just past 10pm and immediately hops out of the car and pulls an ice cold beer (Sierra Nevada of course) from an ice chest, pops the top, and hands it to me. I was thrilled! Clearly the word is out that I really appreciate a cold beer when coming off the trail and I love it!
Steve takes me to the cabin where I'm treated to more cold beer, a hot shower, and a great dinner of spaghetti and Italian sausage. I get my laundry going and retire to a warm bed super content and happy.
Such a nice ending to your birthday day! Congrats on the massive mileage, glad to see you were still able to enjoy some scenery while you were head down focused on clicking off the miles. Happy B-day!
ReplyDelete