Friday, August 2 - Sunday, August 4, 2013
Stats for 3 Days
Hiking Uphill: 10,304ft
Hiking Downhill: 10,874ft
Distance Hiked: 64 miles
Friday, August 2, 2013
Start: Mile 1092 South Lake Tahoe
Finish: Mile 1109.66 Dick's Lake
Distance: 17.66 miles
I sit out front of my motel at the BlueGo bus stop and wait roughly an hour for a bus to come by which I then catch west to the "Y". I walk to the post office, mail back some extras, and then walk to the Mc. D's for bfast, and then to the local outdoor store across the street "Lake of the Sky Outfitters". They take a picture of me which they do for all of the PCT hikers passing through and then give me some cardboard to make a sign with for hitchhiking. I proceed across the road, hold up my sign, and it takes almost an hour of waiting in the hot sun before a very nice older lady, just coming back from playing tennis, pulls up and offers me a ride. She wasn't even headed that way and goes out of her way to drop me off. She was familiar with the PCT and has apparently been involved in helping out past hikers. Thank you!
I get to the trail at around 11:45am, cross hwy 50, and head North to Echo Lake which is only a couple miles ahead. As I approach the parking lot near the lake I run into 3 hikers heading Southbound. We chat for a moment and then they realize that they intended to be going Northbound and had taken the wrong trailhead :) They turn around and head in the proper direction while I stop and buy an icecream at the Echo Lake general store.
Views of the lake.
Water taxis to shuttle folks to the other end of the lake.
Residences along the lake which are only accessible via boat or by foot.
Entering the Desolation Wilderness.
Lake Aloha
A grouse right in front of me on the trail...I really feel I could have caught it with my hands. I should have brought a sling shot :)
I camp at Dick's Lake for the night.
Saturday, August 3, 2013
Start: Mile 1109.66 Dick's Lake
Finish: Mile 1142.88 Squaw Creek
Distance: 33.22 miles
I wanted to make some big miles today so set my phone alarm for 5am. I hit snooze till 5:30am eventually got up, made coffee, packed up, and left at 6:30am. I hiked fast and only took a couple breaks all day.
A pretty butterfly.
Fireweed ( I think)
Entering the Granite Chief Wilderness
The trail following a ridgeline.
Scenery
I camp at Squaw creek and meet Simba, Ninja Turtle, and Raven Lady. I had met the latter two girls on the bus ride with Mel from Bishop to Independence. Since I'm trying to wake up early and typically make a lot of noise, I camp a bit away from them around a rocky outcropping.
Sunday, August 4, 2013
Start: Mile 1142.88 Squaw Creek
Finish: Mile 1159.57 Donner Pass Rest Area (hwy 80)
Distance: 16.69 miles
I'm up early, it's cold outside with the wind gusting, so I sit in my tent and reach outside to make my oatmeal and coffee. I have my coffee sitting in my jetboil inside my tent near the door as I pack up my sleeping gear. Suddenly the wind gusts and knocks over my jetboil with two cups of super hot coffee. My tent has a bathtub floor which is great at keeping rain water out but also I've learned great at keeping hot coffee in. I eventually sopped up all of the coffee with my pack towel but my tent and gear smelled strongly of coffee for days to come and I became worried about attracting coffee drinking bears.
Once packed up I proceed to filter water for the day. As I'm filtering water I notice that the water is leaking out between the bag and filter versus into my nalgene container. I unscrew the two and then see that the white gasket is missing. I spend a good 15minutes looking for it around the creek, between the creek and campsite, around my campsite, etc and can't find the darn thing. I turn my phone on and am delighted to see that I have some limited connectivity. I text and then eventually call Mel to ask her to buy a new gasket from REI and then learn that Domino, her little dog which was sick before we started the hike, was now virtually lifeless and would be taken to the vet asap...likely to be put down. Poor Domino, she's been suffering from her liver condition for so long and I agree with Mel that the humane thing at this point is to put her to sleep. Mel and I chat for a while and I try my best to console her over the phone.
After our call I find the stupid gasket hiding between some rocks near my campsite. Darn! Rough morning so far.
As I approach Donner Summit I reach a nice vista and stop to try and give Mel a call to find out the result of the trip to the vet with Domino. I have reception and am able to call Mel and learn that Domino had passed. She's crying, I really want to console her, and I mention that I'm almost at Donner Summit and we could meet up if she wanted to make the drive. Mel likes the idea and quickly gets on the road to make the 3.5 hour drive to Donner Summit to pick me up and take me to nearby Truckee for the evening. I'm looking forward to the visit and get back to hiking.
Pennyroyal flowers (thanks for identifying Rich!)
Donner Summit
Donner Lake
Passing under highway 80
I reach Donner Summit Rest Area and Mel is already waiting for me, albeit on the other side of the hwy. She makes her way over to the North side of the hwy and takes me to Truckee where we stay at the Truckee Hotel near their little downtown strip. After checking in and dropping off our stuff, I shower up and we head out to get food at the local diner. I had a burger and Mel had the ribs. For dessert I had a chocolate malt (sooooo good!) and Mel the banana split (which I also helped with :).
Stats for 3 Days
Hiking Uphill: 10,304ft
Hiking Downhill: 10,874ft
Distance Hiked: 64 miles
Post by Nick:
Friday, August 2, 2013
Start: Mile 1092 South Lake Tahoe
Finish: Mile 1109.66 Dick's Lake
Distance: 17.66 miles
I sit out front of my motel at the BlueGo bus stop and wait roughly an hour for a bus to come by which I then catch west to the "Y". I walk to the post office, mail back some extras, and then walk to the Mc. D's for bfast, and then to the local outdoor store across the street "Lake of the Sky Outfitters". They take a picture of me which they do for all of the PCT hikers passing through and then give me some cardboard to make a sign with for hitchhiking. I proceed across the road, hold up my sign, and it takes almost an hour of waiting in the hot sun before a very nice older lady, just coming back from playing tennis, pulls up and offers me a ride. She wasn't even headed that way and goes out of her way to drop me off. She was familiar with the PCT and has apparently been involved in helping out past hikers. Thank you!
I get to the trail at around 11:45am, cross hwy 50, and head North to Echo Lake which is only a couple miles ahead. As I approach the parking lot near the lake I run into 3 hikers heading Southbound. We chat for a moment and then they realize that they intended to be going Northbound and had taken the wrong trailhead :) They turn around and head in the proper direction while I stop and buy an icecream at the Echo Lake general store.
Views of the lake.
Water taxis to shuttle folks to the other end of the lake.
Residences along the lake which are only accessible via boat or by foot.
Entering the Desolation Wilderness.
Lake Aloha
I camp at Dick's Lake for the night.
Saturday, August 3, 2013
Start: Mile 1109.66 Dick's Lake
Finish: Mile 1142.88 Squaw Creek
Distance: 33.22 miles
I wanted to make some big miles today so set my phone alarm for 5am. I hit snooze till 5:30am eventually got up, made coffee, packed up, and left at 6:30am. I hiked fast and only took a couple breaks all day.
A pretty butterfly.
Fireweed ( I think)
Entering the Granite Chief Wilderness
The trail following a ridgeline.
Scenery
I camp at Squaw creek and meet Simba, Ninja Turtle, and Raven Lady. I had met the latter two girls on the bus ride with Mel from Bishop to Independence. Since I'm trying to wake up early and typically make a lot of noise, I camp a bit away from them around a rocky outcropping.
Sunday, August 4, 2013
Start: Mile 1142.88 Squaw Creek
Finish: Mile 1159.57 Donner Pass Rest Area (hwy 80)
Distance: 16.69 miles
I'm up early, it's cold outside with the wind gusting, so I sit in my tent and reach outside to make my oatmeal and coffee. I have my coffee sitting in my jetboil inside my tent near the door as I pack up my sleeping gear. Suddenly the wind gusts and knocks over my jetboil with two cups of super hot coffee. My tent has a bathtub floor which is great at keeping rain water out but also I've learned great at keeping hot coffee in. I eventually sopped up all of the coffee with my pack towel but my tent and gear smelled strongly of coffee for days to come and I became worried about attracting coffee drinking bears.
Once packed up I proceed to filter water for the day. As I'm filtering water I notice that the water is leaking out between the bag and filter versus into my nalgene container. I unscrew the two and then see that the white gasket is missing. I spend a good 15minutes looking for it around the creek, between the creek and campsite, around my campsite, etc and can't find the darn thing. I turn my phone on and am delighted to see that I have some limited connectivity. I text and then eventually call Mel to ask her to buy a new gasket from REI and then learn that Domino, her little dog which was sick before we started the hike, was now virtually lifeless and would be taken to the vet asap...likely to be put down. Poor Domino, she's been suffering from her liver condition for so long and I agree with Mel that the humane thing at this point is to put her to sleep. Mel and I chat for a while and I try my best to console her over the phone.
After our call I find the stupid gasket hiding between some rocks near my campsite. Darn! Rough morning so far.
As I approach Donner Summit I reach a nice vista and stop to try and give Mel a call to find out the result of the trip to the vet with Domino. I have reception and am able to call Mel and learn that Domino had passed. She's crying, I really want to console her, and I mention that I'm almost at Donner Summit and we could meet up if she wanted to make the drive. Mel likes the idea and quickly gets on the road to make the 3.5 hour drive to Donner Summit to pick me up and take me to nearby Truckee for the evening. I'm looking forward to the visit and get back to hiking.
Pennyroyal flowers (thanks for identifying Rich!)
Donner Summit
Donner Lake
Passing under highway 80
I reach Donner Summit Rest Area and Mel is already waiting for me, albeit on the other side of the hwy. She makes her way over to the North side of the hwy and takes me to Truckee where we stay at the Truckee Hotel near their little downtown strip. After checking in and dropping off our stuff, I shower up and we head out to get food at the local diner. I had a burger and Mel had the ribs. For dessert I had a chocolate malt (sooooo good!) and Mel the banana split (which I also helped with :).


bummer about Domino, glad you were able to see Mel. Beware the grouse, I've been bit by one protecting its young ones, they can be mean when they want to.
ReplyDelete