Thursday, May 16, 2013
Hiking Uphill: 3,979ft
Hiking Downhill: 2,714ft
Distance Hiked: 14 miles
Hiking Downhill: 2,714ft
Distance Hiked: 14 miles
Post By Melissa:
Nick and I got up
pretty early (~6:30am). We knew that Skip (the hiker we met the day
before) would be up early and passing us on the side of the trail and we wanted
to make sure we were up, dressed, and decent before then. Most hikers
camp off the trail but as mentioned in the blog before, it was dark when we
camped and all we could find was a patch of dirt right along the side of the
trail. We figured Skip would be passing us around 7:30am and like clockwork,
there he was. We were finalizing packing up our backpacks and he sat down
and chatted with us a bit. He pulled out
a plastic container with oatmeal in it that he had made the night before with
powdered milk. He squeezed in some
Justin’s peanut butter as well to spice it up.
He said he was lazy and liked to keep his breakfasts fast and simple but
it looked pretty complex to me! I was
fascinated…by his routine. Sure looked
better than PopTarts!
Today we entered the
San Jacinto Wilderness. It was both
beautiful and physically challenging terrain.
We climbed uphill nearly 4,000ft and went down another 2,700ft. It was a brutal day of hiking but the scenery
was amazing.
SNAKES!! Nick spotted a baby red rattle snake hiding
in a small patch of shade next to a boulder on the trail. I walked up to Nick and he told me to wait
and see if I noticed anything…I stared for a while but didn’t know what he was
talking about. Eventually I saw the
snake and it was so blended in with the surrounding colors that I could have
easily missed it and stepped on it or near it.
Eeek!! Nick happily escorted the
little tike off the trail and was excited to see it. Within a few minutes we spotted another baby
rattler on the trail that was darker in color but it was too fast to catch a
picture of it. Another couple of miles down the trail Nick spots a garter snake
on the trail and it poses for a nice picture for us J
The terrain this day
starts off like the typical desert scene with shrubs and lots of dirt and rocks
and then morphs into Pine Trees and we even see snow patches as we climb higher
into the San Jacinto Mountains. It’s
beautiful and I am in awe that we are out here actually hiking and living on
the terrain. It’s still mind boggling
that I’m not sitting at a desk typing away on a computer…rather my work day now
consists of hiking 10 hours a day and giving my body a daily beating.
We end our day near
mile marker 177. We stop at Tahquitz
Creek and filter water from the creek to drink and use for cooking. I cook up some lovely tuna casserole while
Nick filters our water. This was the 2nd time I had cooked up this
tuna casserole homemade recipe and I wanted to take it up a notch as the first
batch a few days earlier was bland and boring.
I had saved some packets of parmesean cheese and red pepper chili flakes
from our pizza night in Idyllwild and I put some in the tuna casserole along
with a packet of tapatio sauce. It did
the trick! The tuna casserole was spicy
and had a nice kick. Much better than the first batch and Nick agreed. I think I could have put less chili flakes
because it make both of our noses runny.
After dinner we
cleaned up and packed up and hike another mile or so to Tahquitz Meadow to camp
for the night. It was a very nice area
and there were a lot of deer around. We
found a flat spot away from the hundreds of ant piles and starting setting up
our tent. I noticed another hiker in the
trees near us and he came over to say hello.
The first thing I noticed was a huge knife strapped to his waist. He invited us to come over and camp near him
but we said no thank you and stayed where we were. He was a on a 3 day hiking trip and was
covering a lot of ground. Nick was impressed.
We were both nervous about the knife but figured most people out here
are carrying knives.
Nick hung up a
clothing line between 2 trees and we hung up our wet socks and clothing on it
to dry. It was windy and cold but we
hoped the clothes would be dry by morning.
We finished setting up
our tent and Nick commented that this was the best tent set up yet! Day 22 and
we finally mastered the technique of setting up our tent perfectly. It’s an odd hexamid shape and if you don’t
secure the tent lines in the right spot with the right tension, one person ends
up with the tent wall touching their head at night…and it sucks when there is
condensation on the tent ceiling dripping onto your head. We’ve both experienced it. But this night our heads stayed dry and we
were both happy.


Great tent! Sounds like you had a good day here. Pics from inside the tent?
ReplyDeleteGood idea. I will post a picture of the inside soon. It's a snug fit :-)
DeleteI laughed at the thought of getting "decent" before you both were spotted in the morning..i guess I have a different opinion of "cowboy camping". Love the higher altitude scenery and it sure looks more remote. Sounds like your feet are happier too.
ReplyDelete