Saturday, July 13, 2013
Hiking Uphill: 1,881ft
Hiking Downhill: 4,150ft
Distance Hiked: 17 miles (15 PCT miles + 2 miles to the Ferry)
Post by Melissa:
When we left Independence, we planned to spend 6-7 days in the Sierras making our way to Mammoth Lakes. However, we are now on day 9 and still have ~43 miles to go to reach Mammoth. We are out of dinners and breakfasts so we decide that we will make an unplanned stop at Vermilion Valley Resort (VVR) to buy a few things to hold us over and also take a much needed zero day. This is the longest stretch between zero days that we have had thus far and we are in desperate need of a shower, clean clothes, and a hot meal.
That said, we know it's 15 miles to the turn off to the trail to catch the ferry to VVR and then another ~2 miles to reach the ferry. The last ferry pick up is at 4:45pm and I know this means I need to hustle in order to make it.
Before we leave camp, I walk over to the lake and throw my lure in a few more times and catch this beauty.
Nick rigs up his fly fishing pole and has fun casting into the lake
I leave camp before Nick and get a head start. I know I need to cover a lot of ground today and do my best to keep a good pace. I reach the top of Selden Pass pretty quick as it was only 1.5 miles from our campsite. When I reach the top of the pass there is an older couple resting up there enjoying the view. We exchange some small talk and I learn they are hiking the JMT north bound and are also planning on going to VVR but they would arrive tomorrow. I explain I'm hiking the PCT with my boyfriend and that they can expect to see him coming soon. I also told them we were aiming to get to the ferry to VVR today so I said my goodbyes and headed down the pass.
View from the top of Selden Pass looking down at Marie Lake
A little squirrel like creature near the lake's edge checking us out.
Pictures of Bear Creek
We are getting closer to the ferry to VVR and after climbing 1,000ft in one mile up and over Bear Ridge, it's all downhill after that. We pick up our pace and race towards the ferry pick up. My feet are hurting and I'd love a foot break but we were worried we would miss the ferry so we pushed hard.
More trail photos...
Bear Creek
A ferry sign! We are close now...very close!
We leave the PCT to hike on the ferry trail. Along the way we see this fallen tree and are impressed how the roots of the tree have locked on to these giant boulders.
When we arrive at the ferry location we are surprised to see that the lake is so low that the original ferry pick up location is a river bed that is nearly dry and full of boulders. There is no way a ferry could travel up this river from the lake. We must walk out onto the dry lake bed towards the water. It's at least 1/2 mile out onto the dry lake bed and in the distance we can see a few hikers sitting on the ground near the American flag flapping in the wind signifying the temporary ferry pick up location. As we get closer we are shocked to see the Talker sitting there waiting for the ferry. How could this be? We had started together 9 days ago at Kearsarge Pass but Nick and I had been moving so slow we were sure we wouldn't cross paths with the Talker or anyone else for that matter. But yet, here he was. Unbelievable.
Views of the walk out to the lake's edge.
When we reached the ferry pick up location we learned that VVR was sending out a smaller metal dingy boat that could only hold 4 hikers at a time. There were already 4 hikers waiting for the next boat so Nick and I settled in for a wait. The ferry had just left and had to come back to grab the 4 hikers waiting and then we would be next. We ended up sitting on the lake's edge for nearly an hour. My feet ached and I couldn't get my shoes off fast enough. I had felt a hot spot on my left foot under my big toe and when I pulled off my shoes and socks to investigate I was shocked to see a huge blister had developed during the descent into the ferry to VVR. I thought I was past the blister making stage but apparently not!
We finally got on the dingy with another couple that had arrived to the ferry pick up location after we did. And off we went across the lake dodging tree trunks from a forest that had been cut down in the 60's to make this lake. Our driver did a great job avoiding the huge trunks sticking out of the water and had explained to us that the water levels were dropping 2ft per day. Each day he had to take a different route to pick hikers up on the lake's edge.
When we arrived on the other side of the lake we were escorted to a white cargo van and we all loaded in and sat on milk cartons. The driver drove us the mile across the dry lake bed to the resort. It was a bumpy ride and we were sliding around all over the van!! When we arrived at the resort we were given a quick tour and told we could set up our tents in the designated backpackers area for free. First we ate a BBQ dinner with the couple we met on the ferry and had a few drinks before the restaurant closed at 8pm. While we were having dinner on the patio, a retired forest ranger showed up and presented a slide show to us from his ranger days back in the 70's. It was really cool to learn about what rangers do for the parks. I had no idea!
We finally set up our tent in the dark and get ready for bed. The backpacker area was packed with tents and we wedged our tent in w/the others. Little did we know but we set up our tent right next to the Talker's tent. I mean about 2-3 feet away...LOL
I know I need to pop my gigantic blister before I go to sleep to start the healing process. Upon further inspection, it's actually 2 separate blisters on top of each other with one having blood in it. Oh vey...the joys of blisters! I really did a good job creating this one! We descended over 4,000ft today and the friction took it's toll on this part of my foot.
Draining my blister. Owie!! Not sure why my thumb skin looks so dark. Dirt perhaps? Tan?
While we were laying in bed falling off to sleep we hear someone start singing Opera by the roaring campfire surrounded by hikers. It was really loud but very good. Once he finished his singing everyone broke out in a loud cheer, including us in our tents.
We drifted off to sleep listening to the Talker snoring up a storm...
Hiking Uphill: 1,881ft
Hiking Downhill: 4,150ft
Distance Hiked: 17 miles (15 PCT miles + 2 miles to the Ferry)
Post by Melissa:
When we left Independence, we planned to spend 6-7 days in the Sierras making our way to Mammoth Lakes. However, we are now on day 9 and still have ~43 miles to go to reach Mammoth. We are out of dinners and breakfasts so we decide that we will make an unplanned stop at Vermilion Valley Resort (VVR) to buy a few things to hold us over and also take a much needed zero day. This is the longest stretch between zero days that we have had thus far and we are in desperate need of a shower, clean clothes, and a hot meal.
That said, we know it's 15 miles to the turn off to the trail to catch the ferry to VVR and then another ~2 miles to reach the ferry. The last ferry pick up is at 4:45pm and I know this means I need to hustle in order to make it.
Before we leave camp, I walk over to the lake and throw my lure in a few more times and catch this beauty.
Nick rigs up his fly fishing pole and has fun casting into the lake
I leave camp before Nick and get a head start. I know I need to cover a lot of ground today and do my best to keep a good pace. I reach the top of Selden Pass pretty quick as it was only 1.5 miles from our campsite. When I reach the top of the pass there is an older couple resting up there enjoying the view. We exchange some small talk and I learn they are hiking the JMT north bound and are also planning on going to VVR but they would arrive tomorrow. I explain I'm hiking the PCT with my boyfriend and that they can expect to see him coming soon. I also told them we were aiming to get to the ferry to VVR today so I said my goodbyes and headed down the pass.
View from the top of Selden Pass looking down at Marie Lake
A little squirrel like creature near the lake's edge checking us out.
Pictures of Bear Creek
We are getting closer to the ferry to VVR and after climbing 1,000ft in one mile up and over Bear Ridge, it's all downhill after that. We pick up our pace and race towards the ferry pick up. My feet are hurting and I'd love a foot break but we were worried we would miss the ferry so we pushed hard.
More trail photos...
Bear Creek
A ferry sign! We are close now...very close!
We leave the PCT to hike on the ferry trail. Along the way we see this fallen tree and are impressed how the roots of the tree have locked on to these giant boulders.
When we arrive at the ferry location we are surprised to see that the lake is so low that the original ferry pick up location is a river bed that is nearly dry and full of boulders. There is no way a ferry could travel up this river from the lake. We must walk out onto the dry lake bed towards the water. It's at least 1/2 mile out onto the dry lake bed and in the distance we can see a few hikers sitting on the ground near the American flag flapping in the wind signifying the temporary ferry pick up location. As we get closer we are shocked to see the Talker sitting there waiting for the ferry. How could this be? We had started together 9 days ago at Kearsarge Pass but Nick and I had been moving so slow we were sure we wouldn't cross paths with the Talker or anyone else for that matter. But yet, here he was. Unbelievable.
Views of the walk out to the lake's edge.
When we reached the ferry pick up location we learned that VVR was sending out a smaller metal dingy boat that could only hold 4 hikers at a time. There were already 4 hikers waiting for the next boat so Nick and I settled in for a wait. The ferry had just left and had to come back to grab the 4 hikers waiting and then we would be next. We ended up sitting on the lake's edge for nearly an hour. My feet ached and I couldn't get my shoes off fast enough. I had felt a hot spot on my left foot under my big toe and when I pulled off my shoes and socks to investigate I was shocked to see a huge blister had developed during the descent into the ferry to VVR. I thought I was past the blister making stage but apparently not!
We finally got on the dingy with another couple that had arrived to the ferry pick up location after we did. And off we went across the lake dodging tree trunks from a forest that had been cut down in the 60's to make this lake. Our driver did a great job avoiding the huge trunks sticking out of the water and had explained to us that the water levels were dropping 2ft per day. Each day he had to take a different route to pick hikers up on the lake's edge.
When we arrived on the other side of the lake we were escorted to a white cargo van and we all loaded in and sat on milk cartons. The driver drove us the mile across the dry lake bed to the resort. It was a bumpy ride and we were sliding around all over the van!! When we arrived at the resort we were given a quick tour and told we could set up our tents in the designated backpackers area for free. First we ate a BBQ dinner with the couple we met on the ferry and had a few drinks before the restaurant closed at 8pm. While we were having dinner on the patio, a retired forest ranger showed up and presented a slide show to us from his ranger days back in the 70's. It was really cool to learn about what rangers do for the parks. I had no idea!
We finally set up our tent in the dark and get ready for bed. The backpacker area was packed with tents and we wedged our tent in w/the others. Little did we know but we set up our tent right next to the Talker's tent. I mean about 2-3 feet away...LOL
I know I need to pop my gigantic blister before I go to sleep to start the healing process. Upon further inspection, it's actually 2 separate blisters on top of each other with one having blood in it. Oh vey...the joys of blisters! I really did a good job creating this one! We descended over 4,000ft today and the friction took it's toll on this part of my foot.
Draining my blister. Owie!! Not sure why my thumb skin looks so dark. Dirt perhaps? Tan?
While we were laying in bed falling off to sleep we hear someone start singing Opera by the roaring campfire surrounded by hikers. It was really loud but very good. Once he finished his singing everyone broke out in a loud cheer, including us in our tents.
We drifted off to sleep listening to the Talker snoring up a storm...
ugh, dislike the pain you are in. I know you are healing up now at least. Congrats on finishing up the long day.
ReplyDelete